My grandma Norma Pauline Ehler passed away on January 21s t:(
It was such an unexpected thing, she never really had any health concerns, and seemed to be in great health. She just had a heart attack and never recovered from it.
It was such a sudden thing that it was hard to grasp it. I was in shock for a while, and even seeing her in her casket at the funeral home, it still didn't seem real.
I think the hardest part will be going to my grandparents summer home this summer, and her not being there. I've gone down there for a few weeks each summer, except for maybe 3 since I was 2 years old.
My grandma was one of the most loving people! She was always so giving and would do anything for anyone. She was very spiritual and more than ready to meet her heavenly father.
Some things I'll never forget about her or favourite memories of her are...
~ She liked to serve potatoes with every meal lol I remember one time we were making spaghetti for supper and she asked should I make some potatoes?
~ I always looked forward to receiving her Christmas package. She would always send lots of chocolates and goodies in with the wrapped presents. As kids we would always fight about who got to open it. This year we received our own Nelson parcel from her, and I remember saying "jackpot! its from Grandma lol"
~ Its rumoured that my grandparents summer place is haunted. There's lots of stories of people seeing and hearing stuff going on there. If you ever asked my grandma about it, she would say "nothings gonna hurt you here dear" It always creeped me out! ha ha She never said "nothings here" just nothings gonna hurt you here lol
~ When I was about 6, I was staying at my grandparents place without my parents, and got the chicken pox. You know how when you're sick you want your mom to take care of you. Well she was the next best thing, and I still remember her telling me not to scratch!
~She loved playing scrabble on the computer. One year she got everyone the computer scrabble game, and we joked that it was so she could play it anywhere she went lol
~I think the biggest memory or thing I'll remember about my grandma was how much she loved me. My mom married her son when I was 2. Even though I wasn't her biological granddaughter, she stepped right up and filled the roll as my grandma. She never ever treated me any different that any of her other grandchildren.
She was also a great great-grandma to Becca. Im glad that I was able to bring Becca down to their summer place the last 2 summers. And that I was able to spend some time with her, talking as adults. I also glad that I was able to tell her that I was expecting again. The last time I talked to her on the phone was to tell her I was pregnant, and I loved hearing her excitement about it.
Im gonna miss her a lot:(
Here's her obituary.
EHLER, Norma Pauline (nee Downey)
Passed away peacefully surrounded by her family on Friday, January 21, 2011, in her 80th year. Loving wife of 52 years to her soulmate, Leon. Cherished mother of David (Jeanne), Valerie (Tom), Carole, Jonathan (Jane), Tamara and Jason (Jennifer). Much Loved sister of Vera, Ruth and Wayne (Val). Wonderful Grandma and Nana to Ariel (Norm), Jordan, Hannah, Caleb, Tara, Monty, Jacob, Claire and Julia. Great grandmother to Rebecca. Predeceased by sisters May and Vivian. Visitation will take place on Tuesday, January 25 at Markey-Dermody Funeral Home, 1774 King St. E. (at Kenilworth) from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. with the Vigil Prayer at 8:30 p.m. Funeral Mass to be celebrated on Wednesday, January 26 at St. Luke's Roman Catholic Church, 200 Mount Albion Rd. at 11:00 a.m. Cremation to follow. In lieu of flowers, donations to Mission Services of Hamilton Inc. would be appreciated by the family. For those that wish, online condolences can be made at:www.markeydermody.com
Passed away peacefully surrounded by her family on Friday, January 21, 2011, in her 80th year. Loving wife of 52 years to her soulmate, Leon. Cherished mother of David (Jeanne), Valerie (Tom), Carole, Jonathan (Jane), Tamara and Jason (Jennifer). Much Loved sister of Vera, Ruth and Wayne (Val). Wonderful Grandma and Nana to Ariel (Norm), Jordan, Hannah, Caleb, Tara, Monty, Jacob, Claire and Julia. Great grandmother to Rebecca. Predeceased by sisters May and Vivian. Visitation will take place on Tuesday, January 25 at Markey-Dermody Funeral Home, 1774 King St. E. (at Kenilworth) from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. with the Vigil Prayer at 8:30 p.m. Funeral Mass to be celebrated on Wednesday, January 26 at St. Luke's Roman Catholic Church, 200 Mount Albion Rd. at 11:00 a.m. Cremation to follow. In lieu of flowers, donations to Mission Services of Hamilton Inc. would be appreciated by the family. For those that wish, online condolences can be made at:www.markeydermody.com


5 comments:
so sorry to hear that...she sounds like a wonderful lady
So sorry to hear about your grandmother, but what beautiful memories you ahve of ehr.
This was super nice, Ariel. I'm sure your grandmother is smiling with all the memories. ;) It's nice to reminisce... I'm so sorry for your loss!
Ariel
Thank you for sharing your sweet memories and funny stories of my Mom who I am missing terribly. I laughed and cried when I read it. You are an amazing woman and I am so proud to have you as my niece. I love you.
Auntie Val
Ariel,that was a very touching tribute,i laughed and cried,especially about the potatoes.i always thought that was funny too.we have many loving memories of her,thankyou for sharing,she loved you very much,and has always been very proud of you as her first grandchild.
Post a Comment